A couple of weeks ago, I attended a Volkswagen Launch event, all the way over at Setia Alam Convention Centre. Truth be told, it’s only my second time being in that area. Still can’t get over how far it is – like I’ve almost reached the KLIA airport. Ugh.
Still, it was an event I was anticipating for awhile, for personal reasons and also it’s the launch the German car manufacturer’s flagship sedan – Volkswagen Passat. The other reason was because I really want to see the Beetle Dune up close.
Volkswagen Beetle Dune
Who don’t know the iconic Volkswagen Beetle, am I right? And yours truly here LOVES the Beetle. Always have.
Beetle is Volkswagen most iconic model. Engineered and designed in 1930s by Ferdinand Porsche in Germany, and mass produced in 1945 in Mexico. It’s a model that’s loved all over the world.
This Beetle Dune was a surprise bonus reveal at the event, really. But oh-so-sexy and show stopping.
The Beetle Dune is a limited edition version of the iconic VW Beetle.
An ode to the legendary American dune buggies of the 60s and 70s, this limited edition Beetle Dune is a fully imported CBU (Completely Built Up) model from Mexico, comes in an eye-catching “Sandstorm Yellow” colour and in limited quantities of only 50 units in Malaysia.
- CBU (Completely Built Up) would mean that the car is completely imported from the country of origin.
- CKD (Completely Knocked Down) would mean that certain parts of the car are shipped to the country of sale where they will be assembled to form a complete car.
Some quick spec highlight of this Limited Edition Beetle Dune:-
- 1.4L TSI turbocharged engine with 7-speed Direct Shift Gearbos (DSG) with output of 150 PS and 250Nm of torque
- Signature black stripes and side mouldings
- Rear spoiler
- 18″ ‘Canyon’ alloy wheels
- Bi-Xenon headlights with LED daytime running lights
- LED taillights and front fog lamps with static concerning lights
This limited edition (50 units only) Volkswagen Beetle Dune is available for sale, at your nearest Volkswagen Dealer, for RM 179,990.
I’ve always loved the Beetle, and to be honest, I was really tempted to get this car. So gorgeous and head-turning. Limited edition summore. Phwoar! I like.
For more info, check out the Beetle Dune product page at http://vw.volkswagen.com.my/models/the-beetle-dune/
Volkswagen Passat B8
Next up, we have the event that all the guests of media, Owners’ Club members, VIPs, partners – were waiting for. The unveiling of the latest of Volkswagen’s flagship, Volkswagen Passat.
If you’re unfamiliar, this is the 8th generation of VW’s D-segment sedan is one of their worldwide bestseller. Locally assembled CKD (Completely Knocked Down) in the DRB-Hicom Pekan plant, this car is for the high-end executive that means business.
Some specs highlight of the VW Passat B8:-
- 2.0L turbocharged TSI engine, with 6-speed Direct Shift Gearbox (DSG) with output of 220PS and 350Nm of torque
- High Performance : 0 to 100kph in 6.7 seconds
- Fuel Efficient : Fuel consumption of approx 6.2l / 100 km, Start/Stop function
- Active Info Display system with hi-res, completely digital, touchscreen entertainment and navigation, up to 5 presets of themes & modes
- Safe : Lane Assist, Dynamic Chassis Control (DCC), Automatic Post-Collision Braking System, Electronic Differential Lock (XDS), 6 airbags, Electronic Stability Control (ESC), Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Brake Assist (BA), Intelligent Crash Response System (ICRS), hill-hold control.
- Others : Anti-pinch power windows, Easy Open (keyless sensor trunk), KESSY keyless entry & push start, auto dimming rearview mirror, cruise control, 3-zone temperature control, Park Assist.
The gorgeous executive sedan is available in seven, read SEVEN, colours – Pure White, Deep Black, Reflex Silver, Indium Grey, Crimson Red, Black Oak Brown and Harvard Blue.
See that “Brilliant Pine” wood decorative insert on the dashboard? Ain’t gonna lie – not a huge fan of that faux wood finishing. A little too 90s “Uncle Car” for me.
Volkswagen also announced some great add-ons for potential Passat owners – 5 Year manufacturer’s warranty and 5 year roadside assistance. Plus, if you register an all-new Passat before 31 December 2016, you will be entitled to 5 Year Free Service (Maintenance) Program.
The Volkswagen Passat is available for sale now, at your nearest Volkswagen Dealer, and comes in 3 variants – Passat 1.8TSI Trendline for RM159,990, Passat 1.8TSI Comfortline for RM179,990, Passat 2.0TSI Highline for RM198,990.
Now, this is a serious car. That professional side of me did look at the previous 7th generation Passat, but something else won my heart when I was car hunting. This was a little too big of a sedan for me, and I went for something a bit… errr… womanly, and err… flashier.
But if you’re a professional looking for a serious no-nonsense executive sedan, look at the Passat. Serious style and performance in this one. With a price tag starting from about RM 160K, really worth checking out. I’ll continue lusting over the Bettle Dune. 🙂
For more info, visit the Volkswagen Passat product page at http://vw.volkswagen.com.my/models/the-passat/