As teased by HTC Malaysia, the Taiwanese manufacturer finally revealed and launched the availability of one of their flagships, HTC One M9+, to the local Malaysian market.
While iPhone released 2 variations of their flagships (iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus) and Samsung released 2 variations as well (Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 edge), it came as a bit of a surprise that HTC decided to only release 1 variation of their 2015 flagship. And the higher end one at that.
The HTC One M9+ Malaysian launch was held a couple of days ago, at Rootz Club KL where media and HTC fans and partners were present.
Guests were presented with the launch of the higher-end flagship, as well as brief overview of the device.
HTC Malaysia did point out during the Q&A session that the HTC One M9 will be made available to the local market should there be a demand for it. Considering Malaysia is the first country in South Asia where the HTC One M9+ is launched, HTC must
think know that we’re a super high-end flagship market.
HTC One M9+
Here’s a quick specs overview of the HTC One M9+ :-
- 5.2” WQHD 2K Quad HD display (2560 x 1440)
- 2.2 GHz MediaTek helio X10 octa-core processor
- 32 GB internal storage (expandable microSD up to 2 TB) + 3 GB RAM
- Powered by Android 5.0 “Lollipop” OS with HTC Sense 7 UI
- 20 megapixel Duo Camera rear camera (4K video recording); HTC Ultrapixel front facing camera (1080p HD video recording)
- 7.19 mm thin, weighing only 168 grams
- 2,840 mAH non-removable battery (up to 13 hours 3G talktime)
- Connectivity : 4G LTE / 3G HSPA+ nanoSIM, WiFi, Bluetooth 4.1, NFC
- Available in 3 colours : Gold on Silver, Gold on Gunmetal Grey, Gold on Gold
For more information and specifications, check out the HTC One M9+ SEA product page at http://www.htc.com/sea/smartphones/htc-one-m9-plus/
A bit of a technical tid-bit for the techie ones reading…
It was pointed out that although this high-end flagship is powered by a supposedlly “low-cost” MediaTek processor, HTC assured that they’ve chosen to use the latest MediaTek helio processor, which was a decision made considering the overall design, performance and cost of the HTC One M9+. HTC asssures that performance is not affected, and the device performs just as well, if not better than those running on the more common high-end Qualcomm Snapdragon processor.
Also, using the “low cost” MediaTek processor doesn’t automatically mean the overall device is a cheaper or low-end smartphone. The overall build quality and material is taken into consideration in production. HTC One M9+ is designed and positioned as a high end flagship smartphone – with other high end parts (ie, 20 megapixel camera, HTC BoomSound dual speakers, metal unibody) and software enhancements.
Some of the Killer Features highlighed includes:-
- Stunning iconic design – all metal unibody from previous HTC One M7 and M8 with an industry first dual-tone hairline brushed silver and polished rose gold sides finish
- Incredible Imaging tech – 20 megapixel Duo Camera with great photo editing enhancements (ie, UFocus, Dimension Plus, HTC Eye Experience software, Zoe app, etc), and HTC Ultrapixel front-facing cam for better low light selfies
- HTC BoomSound with Dolby audio – iconic front-facing dual stereo speakers is now enhanced with theater-like surround sound, with multi-room wireless speakers support
- 360 degrees Fingerprint Scanner – Home button with fingerprint scanner for touch-to-unlock function with 360 degrees scanning, regardless of how you hold your device
- HTC Sense Home – Themes to go via Online Theme Store, or create your own unique themes by snapping a picture & HTC auto suggest themes and colours based on the image
- Customisable Navigation Bar – Customise on-screen capacitive buttons for “Home”, “Back”, “Multitasking” and more
- Improved HTC Dot View case – 2nd generation HTC Dot View flip case, with transparent back & front case to support images, text and more with through-the-case notifications
… and many more.
HTC One M9+ is available for sale TODAY (30 April 2015) onwards, for the Gold on Silver / Gunmetal Grey version, at a Recommended Retail Price (RRP) of RM 2,599 (incl. GST).
The Gold on Gold version will only be available later this year.
See Also : HTC One (M8) User Review
Other than the fact that the club disco-lighting was not great for photographing the HTC One M9+, I only managed very little hands-on time with the device.
From what I managed to test in my short hands-on time, the device feels very premium in my hands, as I would expect from HTC. Brushed metal always feels good and solid. The dual tone silver with rose gold sides is indeed a nice design choice. From a software perspective, the device performance was as expected of a high end flagship – it zooms fast between apps and pages, HTC Sense 7 UI is much improved with more intuitive navigation and low light photography (in the club venue) was prominently better than your average smartphones.
Can’t wait to see if I’ll get a review unit soon to thoroughly test these killer features in person. *cough* HTC Malaysia? *cough*
HTC Desire 826 (Dual SIM)
In the same event, HTC Malaysia also took the chance to introduce another mid-range smartphone in their portfolio – the HTC Desire 826 (Dual SIM). I am a fan of Dual SIM smartphones, which is ALWAYS my go-to device in my travels, either work or vacation, so I can use a local SIM for local mobile data rates, as well as be contactable while roaming on my home number.
High level rundown of the specs for the HTC Desire 826 (Dual SIM) :–
- 5.5” Full HD Super LCD3 display (1920 X 1080)
- 1.7 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 615 octa-core processor
- 16 GB internal storage (expandable microSD up to 1218 GB) + 2 GB RAM
- Powered by Android 5.0 “Lollipop” OS with HTC Sense 7 UI
- 13 megapixel rear camera (1080p video recording); HTC Ultrapixel front facing camera (1080p video recording)
- 7.99 mm thin, weighing only 183 grams
- 2,600 mAH non-removable battery (up to 18.6 hours 3G talktime)
- Connectivity : 4G LTE / 3G HSPA+ Dual nanoSIM, WiFi, Bluetooth 4.1
- Available in 3 colours : Whiite Birch, Blue Lagoon, Purple Fire
For more information and specifications, check out the HTC Desire 826 SEA product page at http://www.htc.com/sea/smartphones/htc-desire-826/
Features highlighted for the HTC Desire 826 includes:-
- HTC BoomSound with Dolby audio – Just like with the flagship HTC One M9+, the dual front-facing stereo speakers are now wnhanced with Dolby surround sound
- HTC Ultrapixel front facing camera – Taking selfie with front facing HTC Ultrapixel camera with HTC Eye Experience, for better low light selfies
- HTC Split Capture – combines photos and videos using the front and rear camera
- Live Makeup – Adjusts the level of portrait beautification before iage is captured
- Face Fusion – Merge self portraits with the face of a friend or celebrity
- Auto and Voice Selfie – voice command to snap pictures or videos
- Unique Design, Colours and Materials – Clean 3-piece construction with dual tone colour, dual finish with soft touch matte sides
… and many more.
HTC Desire 826 is also available for sale TODAY (30 April 2015) onwards, at a Recommended Retail Price (RRP) of RM 1,359 (incl. GST).
Unfortunately, I didn’t see the HTC Desire 826 on display at the event. Maybe it was there, I didn’t look properly. Meaning, I didn’t get any hands-on with this device. The hero device of the event was the HTC One M9+ after all. 🙂
For more information, visit HTC SouthEast Asia website at http://www.htc.com/sea/ or *LIKE* the HTC Malaysia Facebook Page at https://www.facebook.com/HTCMalaysia