On the same day of the Maxis iPhone 5 launch, ASUSTek Computer Malaysia launched the successor of their smartphone-tablet docking station combo Android device(s) – the ASUS PadFone 2 on 13 Dec 2012.
The ASUS PadFone 2 features a 4.7′ Android smartphone that docks with a PadFone 2 Station turning it into a 10.1″ Android tablet. This hybrid device is a good combination for those who wants a phone and a tablet, but don’t necessarily want to spring the moolah for 2 devices.
Here are the brief overview specifications for the ASUS PadFone 2:-
- 4.7″ Super IPS+ display (550 nits)(1280 X 720)
- 1.5 GHz quad core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 processor
- 32 GB internal memory + 2GB RAM (no expandable storage)
- Available in 2 colours; Black and White (the latter will be available only in Jan 2013)
- Powered by Android OS 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich (upgradeable to OS 4.1 Jelly Bean next week)
- 13 megapixel rear camera, 1.2 megapixel front facing camera
- 9 mm thin, weighing only 135 grams
- Li-Ion 2,140 mAh battery (up to 16 hours talk time with 3G)
- HSPA+ and LTE network connectivity
And here’s a quick specs of the docking ASUS PadFone 2 Station:-
- 10.1″ IPS display (1280 X 800)
- Available in 2 colours; Black and White
- 1 megaixel front facing camera (uses the PadFone 2 rear camera, when docked)
- Li-Ion 2,000 mAh battery (up to 36 hours of talk time with 3G)
- Extras : ASUS 13-pin dock connector, MicroUSB 2.0 port, Mono speakers with ASUS SonicMaster technology
The grip to the PadFone 2 were also improved. ASUS boasts that it’s near impossible for the docked smartphone to slide loose from its docking station.
ASUS also the opportunity to announce the availability of ASUS WebStorage, their cloud storage offering which offers owners of the PadFone 2 with FREE 50GB of storage for 2 years.
Hardware and First Impression
For a 4.7″ Android smartphone, the device has a nice chrome bezel along the sides and looks a little like an Apple iPhone at the sides. However, the unmistakable Android capacitive buttons (“Back”, “Home” and “Multitasking”) makes it a beautiful looking smartphone indeed.
The back of the smartphone has the signature ASUS swirl / ripple design as you’d see from their successful ASUS Zenbook ultrabooks. Seems Asus has maintained a good recognisable design element in all their devices.
Having some time to play around with it, as a stand-alone smartphone as docked as an Android tablet, it’s really smooth and fast. The good plus point on having a smartphone that docks into a tablet, means that you’d only need one mobile data plan on your device and use it as a phone, and dock it as a tablet for more battery life and other use (viewing video, writing longer notes and emails, working on documents, playing tablet optimised games and many more).
For the men, here are some more pictures of the models with the ASUS PadFone 2 for your viewing pleasure.
The device (both the smartphone and the tablet docking station) is very light indeed and feels so easy and comfortable in your hands.
Pricing and Availability
The ASUS PadFone 2 will be on sale immediately on 13 Dec 2012 (Thursday) onwards. However, only the Black colour and 32GB variant is available. White colour will be available in January 2013. The 64GB version’s availability will be announced at a later date.
The ASUS PadFone 2, both the smartphone and the docking station will be sold as a bundle offering for the Recommended Retail Price (RRP) of RM 2,799.
And now, here are pictures of the ASUS PadFone 2, both the Black and White colour version. Do click on the image to see the enlarged pictures.