Last Wednesday, 20 Feb 2013, Blackberry (previously Research in Motion aka RIM) launched their all touch Blackberry Z10 smartphone in Malaysia. The Blackberry Z10 is the first smartphone running on the latest Blackberry 10 OS that’s completely re-designed from the previous Blackberry OS.
Since the official global announcement of Blackberry 10 in US on 29 Jan 2013 (which I covered in my Heads Up:TECH video here), it’s almost a month later that we now see the re-engineered Blackberry appear in Malaysian shores.
About Blackberry Z10
For those of you unfamiliar, here’s the quick specs overview of the Blackberry Z10:-
- 4.2″ capacitive touchscreen display (1280 X 768)(356 ppi)
- 1.5 GHz dual core processor
- 16 GB internal storage (expandable up to 64GB microSD) + 2 GB RAM
- Powered by new Blackberry 10 OS
- 8 megapixel auto focus rear camera (1080p HD video recording), 2 megapixel front facing camera (720p HD video recording)
- 9 mm thin, weighing only 136 grams
- 1,800 mAH removable battery (up to 11 hours 3G talktime)
- Connectivity : WiFi, HSPA+, Bluetooth 4.0, GPS, NFC, micro HDMI out
For more information and features list, check out Blackberry Z10 Product Page at http://www.blackberry.com.my/smartphones/blackberry-z10.html
For further reading on hands on and review of the Blackberry Z10, check out my Heads Up:TECH post with links HERE.
For your viewing pleasure, here’s a gallery of pictures of the Blackberry Z10:-
Pricing and Availability
Blackberry Z10 will be available for purchase exclusively with Maxis first starting 9 Mar 2013 (next Saturday) with pre-orders (here) from 21 – 27 Feb 2013. Once the exclusivity with Maxis is over, Celcom and DiGi will be offering the device starting from 8 Apr 2013. The Blackberry Z10 will be on sale at the Recommended Retail Price (RRP) of RM 2,188.
As of time of writing, Maxis’ Blackberry devices page HERE shows the banner that the Blackberry Z10 is “Coming Soon” with no further details on the device / data plans.
It is said that no additional Blackberry plans will be needed with the new Blackberry Z10. Only a regular data plan is sufficient with devices on the new Blackberry 10 OS. That is great news, for those familiar with Blackberry users, who knows that an additional BIS / BES license payment is required for previous Blackberries.
Blackberry Z10 Trade Up Program
Along with the launch of the Blackberry Z10 in Malaysia, Blackberry has also announced a “Trade Up” program that allows existing Blackberry users to exchange their current Blackberry smartphones to the new Blackberry Z10. Blackberry fans will enjoy a discount of up to RM 480 per device, for selected older Blackberries.
All you have to do is head up to Blackberry Malaysia’s Facebook Page at https://www.facebook.com/BlackBerryMY, provide the necessary details to obtain a voucher, and head to any of the 21 roadshow locations across Malaysia with the printed voucher and old Blackberry to purchase the discounted Blackberry Z10. This is limited to the first 3,000 units only.
Below outlines the eligible Blackberry models for this Trade Up program and their respective discounts for the new Blackberry Z10:-
The BlackBerry smartphone must be able to power on;Below Terms and Conditions apply:-
- The BlackBerry smartphone was not have a damaged LCD screen;
- The BlackBerry smartphone must have all the buttons on keypad;
- The BlackBerry smartphone must not have any liquid damage;
- The BlackBerry smartphone must not have damaged hardware.
About Blackberry 10 OS
The new Blackberry 10 OS is all new, modern design and gesture based interface that is touch friendly. Here are a few lists of killer features that you’ll get from the new Blackberry 10 OS:-
- Blackberry Hub – unified message inbox to manage all your personal and work messages including emails, BBM Messages, SMS, social media updates and notifications, etc.
- Blackberry Flow – enables features and apps to flow together. Eg, tap on a meeting attendee to view their social media updates, tap on a picture thumbnail to edit the picture, etc.
- Updated touchscreen keyboard – learns your typing behaviour for better word prediction.
- Updated BBM (Blackberry Messenger) – new BBM Voice for voice calling and BBM Video for video chats.
- Blackberry Time Shift – camera feature that allows instant edit of group shots to ensure all faces are the best shot (like Samsung Galaxy Note 2’s Best Face).
- Blackberry Story Maker – Photo and videos can be stitched together to make a HD movie (like HTC One’s HTC Zoe).
- New Blackberry 10 Browser – Fast and fluid improved browser which supports multiple tabs, private browsing and reader mode.
- Blackberry Remember – combines memo, tasks and clippings into one interface. Syncs with Microsoft Outlook Task and Evernote notebooks.
- Built in support of Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync and BES 10 (Blackberry Enterprise Server)
- Blackberry World – new Blackberry 10 app store with over 70,000 new apps. Selected Social Media apps are pre-installed (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Foursquare) and local apps are available for download (eg, AirAsia, CIMB Clicks, Sunlight Taxi, etc).